As invaluable as Physiology and Anatomy– the study of human body functions and structure- are to public health care delivery, it has remained a cause for concern that most students are unaware of the job opportunities for Physiologists and Anatomists.
Students of both disciplines do not know the fate that awaits them on graduation unlike other medical professions. They don’t know where to unleash their acquired knowledge on graduation.
Instead of feeling happy and a sense of pride as they head towards graduation, they are uncertainty about their career prospects.
Why do Students study Physiology and Anatomy?
Many persons study human Physiology and Anatomy because they have interest in it and have always wanted to do so. There are some who were compelled to read it because they were refused admission to study other courses such as Medicine, Nursing, or Pharmacy due to high cut- off marks for admission into these courses.
It is common to see a physiologist/anatomist, just like others who read other courses, working in the banks, teaching in secondary schools, being in partisan politics and in other careers not having anything to do with Physiology or Anatomy. In many cases, physiologist/anatomist making a living in areas not related to their studied profession were never really interested in reading the course, but were compelled to study the discipline because of admission difficulty.
What are the Job opportunities for Physiologists and Anatomists?
- They may be employed by hospitals to provide services in various areas. A Physiologist may be involved in measurements of some critical physiologic parameters. For example spirometry, electrocardiography, audiometry, etc.
- A Physiologist may also be employed in sports academy.
- They may be needed in goods and drug industries where they can function in various capacities including production, quality control or marketing/distribution Managers.
- Those who are interested in academic responsibilities will have to obtain M.sc and PhD degrees in human Physiology and Anatomy.
- They may go back to the university to read Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Sciences, etc depending on their interest.
- They may wish to become entrepreneurs and employers of labour there by applying their knowledge of Physiology and Anatomy in starting a business enterprise. Such enterprise may be ownership of hospitals and diagnostic laboratories, health related educational institutions and so on.
Prof. Aloamaka C. Peter: Career Options of a Human Physiologist, the Elixir vol. 1, 2018