What are your insights about HIV/AIDS to help raise awareness?

HIV or Human immunodeficiency virus is the virus (retrovirus) that causes AIDS. The virus is delicate outside of it’s human host and can only survive a very short time.
HIV infiltrates the body’s normal immune system particularly the T – Helper cells of the white blood cells (also called CD4 cells). Once inside the T-cell, it inserts its own RNA (precursor to DNA) into the area that is in control of replication of the T-cell. When replication is complete the result is a cell with DNA of the HIV infection thus leading to a breakdown of the immune system. The Human immunodeficiency virus is always mutating. This mutation process is the reason why the virus doesn’t have a cure till date.
HIV is usually transmitted through bodily fluids i.e blood, semen, vaginal fluids, breast milk, etc but may also be transmitted via other means.

What are your insights about HIV/AIDS?
Would you marry a person who is HIV positive assuming you didn’t have the virus?

Notify of
14 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
DOCTOR P
DOCTOR P
9 months ago

Hmmmm….this one strong ooo
Ok shaa!!

HIV stands for human immunodeficiency virus. HIV is a retrovirus that infects cells of the human immune system (mainly CD4+T-cells and macrophages which are the key components of the cellular immune system) and destroys or impairs their function. Infection with this virus results in the progressive depletion of the immune system, leading to immunodeficiency.

AIDS stands for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and describes the collection of symptoms and infections associated with acquired deficiency of the immune system.

Most people infected with HIV don’t even know that they are already infected. But mmediately after the infection, some people may have a glandular fever-like illness (with fever, rash, joint pains and enlarged lymph nodes as seen in Hodgkin lymphoma), which can occur at the time of seroconversion.
Meanwhile,Seroconversion refers to the development of antibodies to HIV and usually takes place between one and two months after an infection has occurre, then the person is said to be seropositive.✔

Well,we should know that the HIV has only affinity for The T-Cells which are the helper cells…and this is why the immune system is usually compromised by the invasion of the virus,giving room for opportunistic infections.👌👌
The virus also needs some factors or do I say ingredients before it can successfully uncoat its antigen and cause infection.These are Glycoprotein(omo, I’ve forgotten if it’s GP 41 and 120😂,I stand to be corrected biko)and in the presence of Chemokine receptor 5. I.e. CCR5.

Omo, the insight go stop here Abeg…I don tire!!😂

Now,about the marriage….Hmm,nna ehn nobody prays for such but we have to note that even if one doesn’t have the virus ,one can still get married to someone who’s seropositive only when the individual is already on and is compliant with ARTs because ARTs suppress the progression of the infection to AIDS and also suppresses the viral load.
When the viral load of an individual is low,he /she is no longer considered infectious.

So….yes!!! One can get married to a seropositive person.

Gunait😁😁

dareFST
dareFST
Reply to  DOCTOR P
9 months ago

I think I like you… “So ONE can get married…” But not you right? Lol

Haruna Maina
Haruna Maina
9 months ago

No! No! No! But love is stupid so we can’t be 💯 sure

Chuks-Ihionu
Chuks-Ihionu
9 months ago

So why is it not possible to get hiv from your partner or give to a child you are still carrying in utero

Aaish
Aaish
9 months ago

Hell no. But I have another question. Can they marry one another? But they’ll have positive kids right?
The reasons for my response is simple. I’ll be positive too. And even if I lose him I can’t remarry cos I’ll infect the next person as well. Even my innocent kids. Correct me if I’m wrong

UniBen
UniBen
9 months ago

With the advent of HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) & Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), a healthy individual can take those medications to prevent infection from HIV.
So, combined with the HIV+ partner taking their Anti-Retroviral Therapy drugs (ARTs), an uninfected person could marry an HIV+ person.
But PrEP & PEP aren’t yet widely available, are still too expensive, don’t have much awareness created about them, and, I hear, may have side effects.

Okwute
Okwute
9 months ago

Can I marry someone who’s HIV Positive?
Le simple… And short.

That’s like me being asked if I can marry someone who’s AS. I can’t. Reasons being I’m not only looking for love but as much peace of mind as I can fathom in marriage

danielvictorkalu
danielvictorkalu
9 months ago

My answer is CAPITAL NO.

No matter how much I love you I can’t marry you if you are HIV +.
Marriage goes beyond just mere love, I can’t do something I will regret in the future or something that will have adverse consequences on my children.
I Know there is a way you can marry a HIV+ person and your children can still dodge been HIV+, the stress and risk is too much .
I want the best in marriage
Marriage is meant to enjoyed and not endured.

So in my humble opinion I can never marry a HIV+ person

Ephehx DhorCass
Ephehx DhorCass
9 months ago

No. I won’t.

Apart from the fact that I’ll get infected.

When we have children they’ll get infected with the virus too. Those future children did nothing to deserve carrying HIV from birth.

And then they might go on to spread it to people too.

HIV doesn’t matter to most but it does to me. I won’t be responsible for spreading the virus to innocent people in the future

dareFST
dareFST
9 months ago

Well, I don’t think I can answer that directly as I’m not preparing for that…lol.
But I had a case few years back. A young man came in with his 20yr old girlfriend for HIV screening and serum PT and both turn out POSITIVE. I felt bad for them really but I also needed to not just give out result but also counsel. So i asked the guy if they’ve done the tests before to which he affirmed. I was like, so you are aware of the result already, and he gave a nod. We tested the young man and it came out NEGATIVE. So I went straightaway to counsel them and handed them over to Matron for more counseling on PMTCT, placement on ART and need to register for ANC ASAP for proper monitoring. The lady delivered in my hospital months later. We conducted DBS (Dried Blood Spot) for the baby and it was NEGATIVE.

Now, what trilled me most in all these is that the guy followed his girl to EVERY ANC appointment. They smile and seem happy all the time we see them. They were like little lovebirds. The young man earn my respect ever since because many of such young relationships these days lack commitment of that level. Ordinary positive PT self, some guys don vamoose… Lol. Now I don’t know why is that for the guy cos he already looked determined to go ahead come what may from start. Maybe it’s the ‘True love’ thing cos I can’t say it was the counseling. But all the same…with proper orientation that, it’s possible to live with an HIV positive spouse without getting infected so long as the spouse keeps up with his/her ART to keep the viral load down. So it’s not a big deal to do that, I know a handful of them who does and they and the relationship looks healthy over the years.

horederbie
horederbie
9 months ago

I can actually marry someone with HIV since i won’t be getting infected with the virus this days research and technology has made us know that even couples living with the virus have kids and they won’t have the virus
I learnt recently that their is an NGO for young people living with the virus and this people are made to connect with themselves since most people without the virus don’t want to marry them the NGO match make them, then if everything goes right they get married they still do follow up when they start having kids so that they take measure to avoid their children from having the virus